NEW FULL TIME FUNDRAISING POSITION!
Join a unique agency addressing critical gaps in community services for men and boys. As a skilled fundraiser, here’s your chance to make transformational change across the social service sector by harness your creativity, team building skills and ability to turn complex ideas into persuasive prose.
Director of Development, Grant Writer and Communications Assistant, at Canadian Centre for Men and Families
Are you looking to join a unique and growing new organization dedicated to gender equality with a particular emphasis on the health and well-being of boys, men, fathers and families?
The Canadian Centre for Men and Families has grown quickly and now operates four facilities across Canada. We’re at an exciting stage in our development and we need the assistance of a personable, proactive self-starter capable of leading multiple projects under tight deadlines and an individual with demonstrated track record of success with grant writing and special event management.
This demanding but dynamic full-time position offers a range of exciting and distinctive experiences. You have the opportunity to advance an important cause by harnessing your creativity, team building skills and exceptional ability to turn complex ideas into persuasive prose. Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful applicant will be responsible for two key areas of development: grant management and special events, and will also assist with the organization’s communications and public relations mandate.
The Canadian Centre for Men and Families is Toronto’s first “men’s centre,” an open, inclusive and safe space for men’s health and social services. The Centre hosts programs and services such as counselling, therapy, peer support, legal assistance, meditation, fathering, and support for male victims of domestic abuse and trauma.
The Centre is operated by the Canadian Association for Equality, a registered educational charity that supports all efforts at achieving gender equality. Our focus is on the status, health and well-being of boys, men and fathers, where attention, investment and support for educational and social programs are significantly underdeveloped. In addition to our community services, we hold public events, undertake evidence-based research, engage in public policy campaigns and host an online video series.
We are a small organization with a modest annual budget of around $400,000, but we are growing quickly as a result of our increasing community stature as we work to respond to significant gaps in existing programs and services.
Applications Due: March 28, 2019
Status: Full-time, 35 hours/week
Location: Canadian Centre for Men and Families, 152 Carlton St. Unit 201, Toronto, ON, M4Y 2J9
How to Apply: Email a cover letter and resume as a text, word or PDF attachment, to Executive Director Justin Trottier at email@example.com.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare and submit grant applications, letters of intent and solicitation letters for government, foundations and corporate grants.
- Manage the fulfillment of grant reporting obligations. Support and develop fulfillment systems.
- Maintain and build relationships with grantors and sponsors.
- Manage and grow a comprehensive database of grant and sponsorship opportunities.
- Research grant and sponsorship opportunities that meet the unique needs of the organization.
- Responsibility for organizing special events in which the primary objective is to raise funds for the agency.
- Develop sponsorships for special events, fulfill compliance requirements with sponsors and manage sponsors relationships.
- Fulfill our agency’s commitment to foundations hosting third party fundraising events on our behalf.
- Develop special event templates that our agency’s branches can host locally. Train and supervise local event organizers.
- Recruit volunteers to assist in organizing special events.
- Manage the day-of logistics for special events.
Other Fundraising Responsibilities
- Assist in building and managing a national fundraising and development committee composed of seasoned and proven experts.
- Responsibility to recruit, train and manage volunteers involved in the two areas of grant writing and special events.
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the organization’s Values, Vision, Mission, Strategic and Tactical Plans, and in compliance with the organization’s Statement of Ethics and the Donor Bill of Rights.
- Empowers the Board of Directors, Executive Director, staff and volunteers with tools and training to fully engage the entire team in fundraising.
- Develop fundraising communication materials for various audiences.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested.
The Director of Development will also be a member of the agency’s Communications team.
- Assist in developing communication material for various audiences across several channels (website, social media, email blasts, print advertisements).
- Assist in implementing agency’s new marketing, communications and social media strategy
- Train and supervise volunteers engaged in developing communication content.
- Craft key messages in relation to different aspects of agency mandate and programs.
Skills, Attributes and Qualifications
Background and Experience
- Relevant post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate from an accredited post-secondary institution or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Minimum 3 years (successful) grant writing experience with nonprofits. Experience with other aspects of fundraising ideal.
- Proven track record of successful grant writing and organizing fundraising events.
- Knowledge and experience working with boys, men and fathers ideal but not required; passion for the cause of equality an asset.
- In love with our organization and ready to shout it from the rooftops.
Personality and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Excellent in managing and motivating volunteers.
- Ability to build strong relationships among donors, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Outstanding organizing, project management, time management and planning skills.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
- Resourceful and proactive in resolving challenges and finding solutions.
- Ability to identify and summarize relevant information.
- Independent self-starter capable of managing and prioritizing multiple, time-sensitive priorities.
- Assertive but not aggressive.
- High proficiency in MS Office.
- Knowledge of Adobe creative cloud software a considerable asset.
- Experience with relational databases.
- High familiarity with common social media networks
Candidates who have many but not all of these qualities are still encouraged to apply.