CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR ACCESS TO THE FAMILY SHELTER
Alternatively, call 647-479-9611 and use extension 5.
Thanks to you, we’ve purchased, painted, furnished and equipped a beautiful new home dedicated to men and children who are escaping family violence.
We’ll be ready for residents starting this April 2021.
Learn the Background on this exciting project
Meet the Family Shelter Advisory Board
Click here for the profiles of our amazing support team
We offer a safe, spacious, temporary living opportunity for single men as well as fathers with children. This unique facility is dedicated to men and families who have experienced any form of domestic abuse.
In addition to residential support, we provide a variety of services:
- Emergency case management
- Emergency trauma counselling
- Male survivors of domestic abuse support group
- Food, clothing and additional in-house resources
- Legal Clinic for family and criminal law matters
- Fathering After Separation or Divorce
- Drop-in peer support group
- Assisting with housing applications
- Outreach and advocacy on behalf of men and their children
- Referrals to additional external services
Let me introduce you to our new home.
Tour of the Family Shelter for Men and Children
The First Family Shelter Resident Speaks
Building the First Shelter for Abused Fathers and Children
This impressive house is perfectly suited to serve as an emergency family residence. It features four floors with six bedrooms, two kitchens, 9 washrooms and a private basement entrance. With over 3000 square feet, we have significant space for a wide variety of programs and services. The location by York University is an added bonus.
The facility has been laid out as follows
- 6 bedrooms, able to accommodate up to 12 individuals – 2 single men, 2 families consisting of 1 man and 1 child and 2 families consisting of 1 man with multiple children.
- 2 fully functional kitchens, one on the main floor and one in the basement
- 1 large meeting room, library and common area
- 2 family common rooms, one built for younger preschool aged children and the other for families with older children
- 2 counselling rooms for one-on-one therapy or small family or group meetings
- 2 administrative offices for staff and volunteers
Here are some ways to support this project. For any of these, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equipment and Furniture
We require beds, couches, desks, tables, chairs, kitchen items, and other furnishings and equipment.
We are looking for volunteers to assist with facility management and client intake. Please contact us to get involved.
We have some exciting times ahead. And we’re thrilled to have you with us on this remarkable journey!
Watch a Video Tour of the Facility filmed for the agency’s Board of Directors